Tuesday, May 16, 2006
- Manny Acosta was promoted from AA-Mississippi to Richmond. He pitched for the first time tonight by throwing a scoreless inning while striking out 2. He was very successful in relief for Mississippi and will get a chance to show his skills at a higher level now.
- Brad Baker was sent to the Boston Red Sox as the player-to-be-named-later in the offseason deal that brought Franklin Nunez to Atlanta. Nunez is currently in Richmond's bullpen.
- With Horacio Ramirez and Chuck James hurt along with Jorge Sosa's struggles, Travis Smith could get a spot start in Atlanta soon. It is too bad James is hurt right now because it is only a matter of time until he gets a look at the rotation.
- Kevin Barry is making a smooth conversion to a starter in Richmond. He threw six shutout innings in his last start and has an ERA under 3. He is 28 but could be a late bloomer.
- Matt Harrison threw a 7 inning complete game shutout today for Myrtle Beach.
- Kelly Johnson has been playing left field for Rome the last couple of days. I honestly don't know what the outlook on him is for this year. It sounds like rehab if he is playing for Low A Rome. I didn't even know if he was going to play this year after arm surgery.
- Chuck James and Lance Cormier are also scheduled to make some rehab appearances for Rome pretty soon.